What is PRSSA?
The Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) is the preeminent pre-professional organization for students pursuing careers in public relations and related fields. PRSSA is comprised of nearly 10,000 students at colleges and universities across the nation and abroad. Today, PRSSA has more than 9,600 members in 284 universities across the country. The student society aims to foster the following:
- Understanding of current theories and procedures of the profession.
- Appreciation of the highest ethical ideals and principles.
- Awareness of an appropriate professional attitude.
- Appreciation of Associate Membership in PRSA and eventually accredited membership.
PRSSA is an essential part of the public relations student’s college experience. When combined with effective classroom learning and professional internships, members are among the best and brightest in the nation and well-equipped to join the work force as prepared practitioners.
The national PRSSA mission statement is two-fold:
- To serve our members by enhancing their knowledge of public relations and providing access to professional development opportunities.
- To serve the public relations profession by helping to develop highly qualified, well-prepared professionals.
The University of Oregon PRSSA Chapter strives to take the mission statement a step further with an emphasis on peer-to-peer collaboration and support. Our members seek to guide and help one another through not only PRSSA but also classes, activities and internships.
Membership in PRSSA provides:
Joining PRSSA gives you access to a variety of member benefits that will enhance your education, broaden your professional network and launch your career. These benefits include:
- Professional development through practical writing, event-planning, research, campaign and leadership experience.
- A member-exclusive and extensive bank of national and international jobs and internships.
- Industry news and trends supplied through newspapers, e-mails and meetings.